Wednesday 11 April 2012

#5 Reflection on Oral Presentation



Reflecting on the oral presentation, I feel inclined to compare myself to how I was pre-ESS2007s, during the peer teaching presentation and the mock presentation. I think I can fairly say that I have improved a lot in terms of handling my nerves, exuding professionalism and managing my time. In stark contrast to the trembling wreck that I used to be pre-ES2007S, I was very much calmer.

I won’t deny that there was still some nervousness as could be detected by my creaky voice. However, the fact that I could remember my script and deliver it exactly as I had intended to, with few pauses in between, is a major personal achievement for me.

The class mentioned that I had performed better in the first part of my presentation and I believe this is probably because the animation-packed nature of the presentation provided a logical sequence which helped me deliver my script more fluidly. When it came to the second portion, however, I was slipping back into the ‘bullet-point-followed-by-paragraph-description’ mode and thus I stumbled quite a bit. The lesson I learnt from this is to perhaps pay more attention to such areas and focus on memorizing concepts instead of scripted chunks. This would, of course, require me to also build up the confidence to verbalize the memorized concepts impromptu.

One key area I would like to improve on is voice control and this is partly due to watching my team-mates, Zi Hao and Xi Min, in action. I felt that they demonstrated impressive voice control which embellished their presentations with a sense of professionalism. Playing back the recorded video, I also realized that I subconsciously used the words ‘so’ and ‘umm’ a lot as fillers. Unnecessarily looking at the screen is another area I want to work on as well.

As for the positive aspects of my performance, I felt that I managed to establish good panning eye contact with the audience. I employed cues (both verbal and non-verbal) to direct the audience attention to specific areas on the slides to ensure that they were still following me even when eye contact had to be breached. I am also glad that the class found me articulate and appeared engaged. I was also heartened to know that the class had high praise for the slides and that they enjoyed them. With regard to the slideware, I felt that it was an integral part of the presentation as it encapsulated the complexity of the project in a manner that was very accessible to the audience. I am glad that the class responded to the slides very well.

This oral presentation felt slightly sentimental for me as it was the culmination of many grueling weeks slogging it out over the different stages of the group project. Needless to say, it was a gratifying experience to see it being received so well by the class. I would like to thank the class and Brad for their kind words and constructive criticisms. I would also like to thank my team mates for their cooperation.

As a team, we have decided to approach a stakeholder with our proposal after our exams. Though it might just remain a pipe dream, I’m excited by the prospect of directNUS becoming more than just a school project. Wish us luck, guys!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Ariel,
    I think your team did an impressive job. The slides were simple yet informative and they were used to complement your presentation instead of a substitution. I personally found your presentation very professional and have effectively conveyed the details of your proposal in very simple and easy to understand ideas. The slides served as a visual aid and were very effective in helping with the overall understanding. You made us feel like we were using the application ourselves and have sort of made us do a role-play. Well done there!

    Your pace and tone was also excellent. I think both you and Kristyn have a gift of a very smooth voice when it comes to presentation and it's even more effective in this context because you make me feel like I want to listen to what you've got to say.

    Well done! :)

    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacq! My initial fear was that all the animation from the slides would take away from my actual presentation. I'm glad that you feel that I managed to keep that in check.

      I actually don't think my voice is very smooth though! I think yours is better. I have to speak a little higher than my normal speaking voice or else it breaks a lot when I try to project it. Even so, I still get crackling voice as Brad had mentioned. So i definitely feel I have to work on that somehow.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ariele

    First and foremost, let me commend you a really wonderful presentation! Team directNUS was probably the most professional team in class and this is in no small part due to your presentation styles. From your dressing, to your slides, to your delivery, the entire presentation showed great effort and was a joy to watch. Well done!

    As for your delivery, yes the slides did help quite a bit. But I think your ability to capture the audience's attention is quite remarkable. You made eye contact without being too aggressive, and your volume was audible without being too loud. In addition, your pace was steady and rhythmic. That's something that I need to learn from you! I tend to speed up at odd places without realizing it!

    All in all however, I genuinely enjoyed the presentation. I hope Es2007s has inspired you to do more public speaking! Hehe.


    Tanisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Tanisha! I'm glad you felt it was really professional. That's definitely the ambience I was hoping to create! It's also heartening to know that you genuinely enjoyed the presentation.

      Haha, I know, the nerves can make us rattle off sometimes. I have a tendency to do that at times, for me it's more of the fillers which I need to work on banishing. That I need to learn from you! I don't know about public speaking haha. But yeah, I am definitely a lot more confident now thanks to positive feedback like yours. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. Hey mate,

    Firstly, I'd wanna congratulate you! You did improve, immensely! Especially from the mock OP. The actual OP saw you exuding confidence I'd thought I would have never been able to gather from you. Kudos to ya mate! I actually enjoyed your presentation, except for the 6 'alright's during your part. Unfortunately, it was pretty annoying for me. Haha, because you went: "so you can also link to social networking sites, alright?" ... something like that, which I felt was a little degrading? Like we didn't know what was going on.

    Yeah other than this, I thought you were very polite and sincere. You took well after ZH and made excellent eye contact. Compared to the mock, you managed to present more concisely this time, and your volume improved quite a bit too! You seemed really comfortable but somehow, towards the end, your enthusiasm kind of died down a little /:

    In short, I think you've done well! Great improvement from the many presentations before this :D & Well, all the best for your post-exams pitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dog.

      Yeah I know I improved a lot. I was kind of kicking myself trying to figure out how to explain the application clearly purely verbally so yeah, the slides took a lot of that load off my shoulders and in turn, knowing I was being understood, I felt and looked more confident.

      Yep, I really need to work on the fillers, point taken! Just for the record, though, the 'alright' was more of self-assurance than audience-directed but I instantly realized that was an especially bad choice of filler because of what it implied.

      Thanks for your feedback, girl!

      Delete
  4. Hello Ariele!

    I really enjoyed your presentation! I thought you sounded really genuine throughout the entire presentation. The pace of your presentation was good, and your tone was set right. You were really very fluent and coherent during your entire presentation. Although there were one or two times which it seemed to be that you were unsure, you still managed to remain calm.

    All in all, you did a great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback, Gladys! I'm glad that you enjoyed the presentation. I agree that at times, I momentarily lose my train of thought, probably trying to recall what was the next slide so that I could click the 'clicker' in a 'pro' fashion haha. I will work on that. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Hi Ariele,

    Firstly, I would like to commend on your slides. I must say your team did a fine job in creating the slides. I really liked the demonstration of the app. It not only engaged me, it made me feel that directNUS was not just all talk, but action as well.

    I thought you made a good choice in presenting parts that involved animations, which helped you to deliver your content more fluently. That being said, we should present on parts that we feel comfort and use the slides to complement what we have to say. This is something we can all learn. Other aspects of your delivery (during the mock and actual OP) that were good include eye contact and pace of the presentation. It was also good that you made references to Zhi Hao’s presentation.

    Having said all these, I would like to congratulate you and your team for the fine presentation. I really like the idea of directNUS and I hope it will be implemented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you feedback, Joel! I'm glad that you felt that the slides were attractive and that the presentation walked the talk. Yes, I realize that the animation did make me feel comfortable and perhaps this could seek as something to have in mind when crafting my slides for future presentations. Thank you for you kind words and I'm glad that you support directNUS! I hope NUS ModReview will be implemented as well. It's so obviously useful!

      Delete